Having tracked Khlyen's last transmission before Red 17 was destroyed, Dutch and the team take a warrant to escort children to the Prodigy School, which educates gifted kids from Westerley. However, when the killjoys arrive at the school, they discover that the last class is missing.
Additional Music: “A Difficult Subject” & “Time to Move and Motivate” by The Insider (CC BY SA 3.0)
- Kris: I like this episode. Yes, the brother parallels were a bit heavy handed, but I appreciated all the character dynamics that were featured. I’m somewhat amused that it seems to be the season of rotating guests on Lucy, what with Pawter staying with them this episode. Also, we get the return of Delle Seyah and her rampant flirting with Dutch!
- Stephanie: This episode was not my favorite, but I was predisposed not to like it because I’m just not a fan of the plot device of using a featured child actor to show a softer side to a character. It also felt a bit repetitive that the perceived big threat was not real for the second episode in a row (Paulo/Khlyen, Chambers). But I enjoyed seeing Delle Seyah again, of course, and as always, I thought there were some great character moments, especially between D’avin and Johnny.
- D’avin and Dutch sexy-wrestle, and D’avin tells Dutch that her being interested in Hunky Monk is OK for some reason? (Whatever, D’avin.) But D’av has eyes for Pree’s new employee Sabine, so maybe we’re soon going to move past his desire to pee territorially around Dutch?
- Speaking of UST! Delle Seyah is back, and she has a connection to Khlyen. The encrypted transmission he sent from Red 17 was seemingly meant for her, but it ended up in a smart kid instead.
- Delle Seyah runs Prodigy School, which forces smart Westerlyn kids to attend, and they neurofeed them information, which is apparently illegal. Delle Seyah also uses the school as a secret “living human seedbank” to protect all Qreshi culture and knowledge.
- Dutch makes a deal with Delle Seyah to keep Olan from being probed against his will. She will keep Olan safe and share whatever he remembers of Khlyen’s transmission. They’re allies now, “whether [Dutch] likes it or not.”
- Apparently the Salt Plains people took Pawter, and they want to sell her? But she uses some of her doctor knowledge and a little rough and tumble assistance from Johnny to escape.
- Pawter tells Johnny about the walls, and she feels like she has to do something, to tell people. Their conversation indicates that it looks like the wall around Old Town is part of a larger plan than just stifling a rebellion.
- People have started commenting on the Johnny/Pawter strong fondness for each other, so they should be making out soon, right?
- Pawter and Delle Seyah know each other from growing up together, and not surprisingly they are not friends.
- Hunky Monk hasn't made much progress on interpreting the skin scrolls that he found. They are encrypted, and he needs the key to translate them.
- Fancy was there to protect Khlyen from the Black Root! They’ve hijacked the ship and are headed to the Jaqobis brothers’ home planet to look for clues about why D’avin is immune to the green goo.
Things Made Us Happy
- “Hell is drunker than I remember.”
- “He may be a skootch late.”
- “You lead. I shoot. Johnny gives a shit.”
- “I thought killjoys didn’t take sides.” “No, but friends do.” Johnny! You big softie.
- Johnny, Dutch and the Pawter situation: “How long did Dutch say Pawter could stay?” “Oh, I haven’t asked her yet, but I am really looking forward to it.” … “Did I say anything when Alvis scar-bunked with us?”
- “I know that voice.” “I hate that voice.”
- “I missed our hate-flirting.”
- “I’m both turned on and terrified.” “I get that a lot.”
- Pawter enjoying Dutch shooting Delle Seyah
- “Are we going to fight some more? Or are we going to behave?” Delle Seyah totally wants to make out with Dutch in that moment.
- “Don’t you dare fantasize about this later.”
- “You damn Jaqobis and your damsel shit.” Thank you, Pawter!
- Pawter and D’avin seemed to be clearing the air with each other when talking about Johnny (and his loud snoring)
- “Aw, you love her!” “You know what? I’m done with children for today.”
- Hunky Monk and his sexy robe!
- What was the transmission Khlyen sent? (And how are they going to extract it from the kid?) We see flashes of Arkyn, Khlyen, a foot stepping on grass, green goo (maybe) bubbling up from the ground, a hand pounding on glass as if to escape, a woman (presumably Dutch/Double Dutch) running in a furry coat. The transmission seems to be related to the memory D’avin saw.
- “He just lost his brother. We know what that’s like.” Does that mean that there was a third Jaqobis brother? Or are they talking about each other?
- Why does Khlyen communicate regularly with Delle Seyah?
- Will the Salt Plains people become important later in the season? The reveal that they had kidnapped Pawter felt a bit anticlimactic, so maybe it’s set-up for a later plot point.
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tweet to @KilljoysPodcast
- Ask us a question on Tumblr