Olli and Johnny investigate a clinic that's using Hullen goo to graft new faces onto people. Meanwhile, at Turin's insistence, Dutch and D'avin audition nerds to help them in their mission. Annie, Stephanie, and Kris discuss the second episode of the third season of Killjoys.
- Annie: Loved both storylines of this episode! Dutch and D’avin running the nerds through their paces has equal amounts humor and tension. I really liked Zephyr, and that Dutch was willing to give her a second chance. And the twist of Clara being Olli, and how she puts herself on the line for Johnny, even if she didn’t retain her memories of their friendship. The hackmod world continues to be fascinating with the concept of skinners. And more hints of Aneela at the end – this season is building up the intrigue and excitement really well.
- Kris: I really liked this episode (and last week’s)! I’m always up for an enclosed space mystery story, so I thought Dutch and D’avin’s nerd-recruitment storyline was pretty great. I kind of love Johnny and Olli/Clara. And I love the hackmod storyline. Michelle Lovretta does great worldbuilding, and I appreciate that she often explores issues of social stratification. I hope that story continues throughout the season. Also, how weird was it to hear Aneela talk??
- Stephanie: Another solid episode! The hackmod storyline was intriguing and provided some solid emotional moments. I really enjoyed spending more time with the hackmods, and I'm sad we seem to be leaving them behind, at least for now. I hope we see them again and soon. Dutch and D'avin's nerd auditions were fun, and I ended up really liking Zephyr. And of course, I'm so excited to see Delle Seyah Kendry again!
- Olli and Johnny investigate a clinic that's using Hullen goo to graft new faces onto people.
- Niko, a hackmod scientist, is using the clinic to enact revenge on people who own hackmods, farming them for skin.
- Niko is played by Viktoria Modesta, and those great prosthetics (including the spike) are all hers. They were featured in the video for her song “Prototype,” which was featured in the episode. (As Niko’s badass theme, which Kris thought was awesome!)
- Olli is Clara. Apparently, Stephanie Leonidas's schedule didn't allow her to return as Clara, so the skinner storyline doubled as a means to explain the actor switch. Pretty clever! And pretty heartbreaking! Poor ClarOlli!
- Turin insists that Dutch and D'avin need a few good nerds to help them gather intel for the war they're waging. They use a training simulation to test three nerdy types (including one played by Erik Knudsen from Continuum), and all of them pass, kinda.
- Turin kicks out one of the nerds for risking the group's safety, but Dutch recruits her anyway because she had a keen eye for biology and physiology. (And maybe the out-of-the-box thinking is part of it.)
- Aneela is super creepy. But she rescued Delle Seyah and green goo'd her, and that situation intrigues us.
Things Made Us Happy
- Dutch and D'avin high-fiving
- D'avin and Turin's antagonism
- Pinky swear with Johnny and Olli
- Dutch telling D’avin to eat the nerds if she dies
- Zephyr would follow Dutch anywhere, and so would we!
- Johnny Suavé taking Dutch's usual role in breaking into the clinic
- Johnny does have adorable ears, though one of them is a hand-me-down.
- Dutch and Johnny reunite! And hug! “Shut up, I don’t care!”
- Lucy missed Johnny!
- D'avin in shawl collar sweaters… Yum!
- Excellent music choices! The aforementioned “Prototype,” “We All Bleed” by Roenin (at the end of the ep).
- Yoki says that Niko is setting up a colony for hackmods somewhere in the J. Is that true? Niko seemed like a pretty big liar. Why did Niko not take sides in the hackmods taking on The Factory?
- No follow-up this week on D'avin entering and using one of the Hullen spaceships. Why is he keeping it a secret? What did he do when he took the plane?
- How did the dark-haired nerd (Benji?) make the team? He was not very helpful. He vomited and then failed to help Dutch with the electrical box situation.
- Olli thinks it’s year 10-5-6 How are years counted in the J?
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tweet to @KilljoysPodcast
- Ask us a question on Tumblr