Crystal was a big hit with Kris and Stephanie — they would have pizza and beer and vent with her anytime. She was a likeable, interesting character in her own right, and our love for Betty McRae, Ali Liebert's character on Bomb Girls, only added to our affection toward Crystal. We discuss the moments that made us like Crystal, some Bomb Girls references you may have missed, and why Crystal needs to come back in season 5.
Hey! It’s Betty McRae! And she’s hitting on Lauren!
- Crystal is a great character in her own right, but I think we love her even more because of Betty McRae, the character Ali Liebert played on Bomb Girls.
- If you haven't seen Bomb Girls, you might be able to check it out on Netflix. The series is set during World War II and focuses mainly on the women working in a munitions factory in Toronto.
- The Lost Girl writers knew that a good portion of their audience would recognize Ali Liebert from Bomb Girls, so they included at least one deliberate reference to Betty. Also, some comparisons can be made between Betty and Crystal.
- In “Sleeping Beauty School,” Crystal called Lauren “princess,” which is definitely a reference to Betty calling one of the other characters on Bomb Girls “princess.”
- Toward the end of “Lovers. Apart.,” Crystal has her hair wrapped in a blue towel when Lauren drops by. We think the towel is a nod to the blue turban that Betty wears when she works in the factory.
- Both Betty and Crystal have a dream to own property — Betty wants to own a house while Crystal wants to buy a farm.
- Also, both Betty and Crystal seem to have a thing for redheads.
What We Love about Crystal
- Bubbly, outgoing Crystal is a good contrast to Lauren. Especially at the beginning of season 4, Lauren was even more reserved and internal than she usually is because she is on the run. The contrast of their personalities works well.
- Stephanie also likes the contrast between blue-collar Crystal and Lauren, who clearly is out of her element in a lot of ways working as a waitress in a diner.
- Crystal fixed Lauren’s nametag. Twice!
- Crystal really won Stephanie over with this reply to Lauren's question of how she puts up with some of these customers: “Same as I put up with some of the staff.”
- “No good apology ever included the words ‘if’ and ‘but’.” She speaks the truth.
- Ali Liebert is very charming in what we've seen of her roles, and we think it was important for Crystal to have that charm given how her storyline goes.
- Hint of an interesting backstory — we’d like to know more
- The hug — Crystal showed Lauren some much needed human kindness, and she seems overwhelmed by Lauren's gratitude.
- Her flirting is awesome.
- “Yeah. I do like.” — Crystal does not do subtle (see below re: pantslessness), and we appreciate that about her.
- “I just need some sugar…”
- Putting Lauren’s tips on the table (with her address! Smooth, Crystal. Very smooth.) and getting in her personal space just enough to be flirty but not creepy
- SHAMELESS PANTSLESSNESS
- The giggle!
- Lauren just looks so happy after their sexytimes.
Bring Crystal Back!
- We still have questions!
- Did she know about the Fae?
- When was she recruited to “keep Lauren close”?
- What happened between “Turn to Stone” & “Let the Dark Times Roll”? KRIS MUST KNOW.
- How did Lauren feel about what happened? (Being with a human again, being betrayed)
- If you didn't care for Crystal and are fine with her being gone, that's totally fine. But if you're a Doccubus fan, please don't misunderstand. Kris and Stephanie enjoyed Hotpantsless, but we'd love for Crystal to come back as Lauren's friend or even just for one episode to tie up her storyline.
- Possible storylines
- Was she one of The Morrigan's feeds? Her story about wanting to be a singer suggests that she might have been.
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com or use the contact form
- Tweet to @DrinksatTheDal