Many critics and viewers have noted the similarities between Lost Girl and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and Lost Girl is certainly an offspring of sorts of Buffy. Without Buffy, Lost Girl probably wouldn't exist, or at least it wouldn't exist quite the way it does currently. Inspired by a tangent cut due to length from the discussion about Dyson, Stephanie and guest Susan explore how Dyson and Angel resemble and differ from each other. This discussion is the first in a series that will discuss some of the comparisons that could be made between the main characters of Lost Girl and Buffy.
Dyson & Angel's Similarities
- Serve the same role on the series — older, mysterious man who starts out as mentor and becomes romantic interest
- Both seem to originate in Ireland
Dyson losing his love vs. Angel losing his soul
- Even though Dyson doesn't become a mass-murderer psycho, he is at his darkest when he is missing his love.
- Both lost their love/soul involuntarily, and that loss ends their relationship with the women they love.
- His love/soul is restored by a third party, not by something they do or even the heroines do.
Dyson & Bo vs. Angel & Buffy
- First great loves, very intense, high-stakes, passionate relationships
- “High school drama”: Buffy is literally a teenager, and Bo might as well be given that she hasn't been able to have a long-term relationship for many years
- However, Buffy and Angel are star-crossed lovers as a vampire slayer and a vampire, while Bo and Dyson are not star-crossed.
- Feeding relationship: Dyson lets Bo feed off him to heal; Angel does not feed off of Buffy until she makes him to heal him from being poisoned
Dyson & Angel's Differences
- Angel is much more solitary, while Dyson has community and many significant relationships.
- Angel struggles with being a vampire, but Dyson does not feel conflicted about being Fae.
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com or use the contact form
- Tweet to @DrinksatTheDal