The Fae World exists as a two-party system, the Dark and the Light. While the Dark Fae are often antagonists, as a group they are not consistently evil, just as the Light are not purely good. We discuss what we know about the Dark Fae, including their political structure and their philosophy toward humans, as well as some of the prominent Dark Fae characters, including Vex and The Morrigan. We're joined by Stephanie's friend Elizabeth, who should be writing a dissertation about religion and comics but she's also watching TV that Stephanie tells her she'll like and writing about comics and academia at Women Write about Comics.
Drink Special: Bloody Bull (Horse?)
5 cups V8 juice
2½ cups Tomato juice
½ cup Beef stock (or a good, strong vegetable broth)
1 tsp Celery salt
1 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
½ tsp Ground white pepper
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning (Plus more for rim.)
¼ tsp Garlic salt
10 drops Tabasco Sauce
5 drops Worcestershire sauce (There’s vegetarian out there, too.)
2 tsp Prepared horseradish
Celery, trimmed into stalks
Pickled okra or beans (Optional, but très chic)
Mix. add vodka (quality matters not) rim glass with Old Bay, insert stalk of celery and pickled vegetables, and serve over ice. Keep very cold. Temperature is the secret to success.
Fall over, but don’t spill on your seersucker, as it will stain.
Differences Between Light & Dark
- Morrigan calls them a “two-party system” in “It’s a Fae Fae Fae Fae World” — Are they really?
- Warring families?
- Different philosophical schools?
- Dark Fae “tend to kill [humans] for pleasure, not just need”
- Light Fae “More like Native American hunters: we respect the kill, won’t overhunt, don’t eat the young”
Dark Fae as Evil
- Dark Fae have often been used to represent evil on the show, though the Big Bads of Seasons 1-3 were neither Dark nor Light (Aife, Garuda, Taft) — How does Pyrippus fall?
- Bo’s relationship with the Dark
- Closer ties with the Light Fae
- Only one main character who is Dark Fae (Tamsin) and she expresses some regret about it
- Bo’s plan to motivate her to get back to Rainer on the train included joining the Dark
- Model of evil
- Selfish & self-interested
- Occasionally psychotic or criminal
Characteristics of The Dark
- Supposedly treat humans worse than the Light
- More theoretically than in practice?
- Example: Lauren
- Much more organized
- More stable leadership
- The Morrigan (says she is “local government” in “It’s a Fae Fae Fae Fae World”) — female leadership!!!
- Less forgiving (per Mayer)
- More funny, take life less seriously?
- The Morrigan
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com or use the contact form
- Tweet to @DrinksatTheDal