Kris and Stephanie discuss what worked for them (Luthors! Danverses! Is that the plural?) and didn't work for them (Creepy, jealous men!) in episodes 2×10 through 2×13 of Supergirl. They also share listener feedback and briefly discuss two current Supergirl comic runs, Supergirl: Being Super and The Adventures of Supergirl.
What Worked for Us
- The return of M’gann! Finally! It was great to see J’onn confront his conflict with her, reluctantly doing the Martian mind meld with support from Kara and Alex. Feels!
- “The Martian Chronicles” bottle storyline — Stephanie and Kris love a good bottle episode. And Stephanie felt like a dupe, but she didn't see the Alex reveal coming!
- The return of Live Wire — Stephanie thought she was an interesting element in Season 1, and it was great to see her used again as both a weak spot for Kara and ultimately a vehicle for Kara to show her compassion. (Also, the Live Wire-ified inmate is Jessie Graff, AKA Supergirl’s stunt double!) Plus, it was a little satisfying to hear her mock James and Winn.
- Luthors!!! Lillian makes a good villain, and her conflict with Lena kind of makes Kris think of the first season’s major conflict between Kara and Astra.
- Katie McGrath has a good face, and Kris is always happy to see it. (By which she means that she thinks Lena is a great and intriguing addition to the cast of characters. Also, TRUE FRIENDS!)
- Maggie was given some more backstory through the Valentine's Day storyline. Also, the betting between Maggie and Alex was pretty cute too.
- In fact, all the Kara/Maggie/Alex scenes in 2×10 were really fun! More of Maggie hanging out at the DEO, please.
- While we were confused by Alex ditching Kara on her Earth Birthday, that storyline with the two of them was very touching.
- Winn has a new alien love interest! (And she’s totally his type.)
What Didn't Work for Us
- Unfocused and poorly paced season arcs
- Characterization: Seriously? Everyone just accepts that Lena must be helping Lillian? Y’all are standing next to a SHAPESHIFTER.
- Isolating Kara: Why? Why why why? What the hell happened to El Mayara?? But if you're gonna do it, why is she not spending more time with Lena? Her TRUE FRIEND.
- Sending M’gann away
- Mon-El: Really, Kara??!!!!??? Him? WHY would Alex support this??? (Not that Alex has great taste in men — Maxwell Lord — blech.)
- “Mr. and Mrs. Mxyzptlk” — Kris cringed through pretty much the whole thing, though Kara’s screw-you orange juice was pretty great.
- We're concerned by that ominous music in the scene with Lena holding the chess piece.
Supergirl: Being Super
- Is making us teary (written by Mariko Tamaki, who is also writing the current Hulk series about Jennifer Walters)
- Is SO PRETTY (art by Joëlle Jones)
- It’s an origin story set in a completely different universe from the TV series.
- Jones’s art is both beautiful and authentically emotive.
- Stephanie loves the relationships Kara has with her parents.
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form