In their pursuit of Khlyen, the team makes a trip to the badlands where they confront a threat in a mine. Under house arrest at Spring Hill, Pawter tries to get dirt on Jelco, who asks for her assistance.
- Kris: I liked this episode, but find I'm less … enthusiastic, maybe … about it. It's a pretty dark episode, both metaphorically and literally, which I think is a lot of it. But! There are some pretty significant developments and revelations that further the season’s mystery plot, which is always a good thing to me. As always, I love the characters and their dynamics. Johnny is a total mom friend. Also, Pawter is awesome and I love her.
- Stephanie: This episode was a nice breather for me after the last two episodes. Even though the scenes in the mine felt a little repetitive at times, I think the emotional payoff at the end made them worth it. But darn it, Lucy, for interrupting Dutch/Monk smoochies! Also, I remain dubious that moss would have survived that deep in the mine.
- Annie: I’m not a fan of creepy crawlies! But I liked this episode, and the team working together to get out of the mine. Loved getting more into the mystery of how Khlyen, the Scarbacks and Arkyn are tied together and where the green goo comes from. Really loved seeing the relationship between Alvis and Dutch, though I wasn’t a fan of D’avin’s hints of jealousy. And Pawter is so ingenious, smart and awesome!
- Turin sends the team after another team of Killjoys, who disappeared after Khlyen intervened in their salvage mission. They end up in a mine infested with hallucinogenic mossipedes, which might be the source of the green goo used by Level 6.
- Dutch hallucinates Khlyen after she is bitten, and her fears and doubts about being a good person come to the surface. She wonders if she is anything more than the weapon that Khlyen created her to be.
- Alvis talks about leaving the scarbacks because of what he did last episode. He gets recruited to help guide them through the mines, since he used to work in them, and finds some potentially important message/lore left by a dead scarback. He is off to a monastery on Leith to look at the old texts and try to learn more about the monk who came back from confronting “the devil” on Arkyn.
- Pawter finds Company plans to construct walls around every town on Westerley, and then awesomely devises her own escape from Spring Hill. She tried to get leverage against Jelco with the recording of Hills’s shooting, but her father wouldn’t bite.
- Lucy confirms what Turin said about Arkyn and Red 17, but she also discovers that a transmission of data occurred just prior to the base’s destruction. Dutch confronts Turin about the transmission and tells him to find out where it went and get her a warrant for that location.
Things Made Us Happy
- D’avin calling Turin “such a dick”
- Alvis “borrowing” D’avin’s shirt
- Lucy’s slightly angry “fine” when Johnny asks her to contact Pawter
- “Given that I just did, is that a rhetorical question?”
- “It looks like an angry vagina.”
- “We’re very recyclable.”
- “I’m detecting signs of psychological fixation.” Is Lucy jealous? ;D
- Pawter turning the tables on Jelco in a very satisfying way
- “I don’t want to kill you, Jelco. You’re just a symptom. And I have to treat the disease.”
- The mine lighting really accentuates everyone’s muscular arms
- Khlyen and his beautiful clothes
- “Johnny, do an analysis.” “An analysis of what?” “I don’t know! It’s just something we say and then you make it all better.”
- Alvis talking Dutch down — Dutch/Monk!
- Are the mossipedes the source of the green goo? Or are they related to the Level 6s in another way?
- Why do the mossipedes not like D’avin? (Obviously a follow up to why is D’avin immune to the green goo?) Also, is this confirmation that Dutch doesn’t have the same immunity that D’avin does? Because it seems like it is.
- Who or what is “the devil” that the scarbacks went to Arkyn to fight?
- Is there significance in bleeding being part of their faith, now that we know there's some connection between them and the Level Sixes?
- Who hit Pawter?!
- When are we going to meet Pawter’s mother?
- What is the significance of the “evil Dutch” she sees in the mine when she is hallucinating? We saw hints of it in “Wild, Wild Westerley,” and Dutch even has to correct herself from “I” to “we” when she is talking about having escaped Khlyen. Is evil Dutch like Helena’s Pupok?
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com
- Tweet to @KilljoysPodcast
- Ask us a question on Tumblr