The team investigates where one of the Hullen ships recently traveled, and they discover a former training ground for Hullen to learn how to act more like human beings. All the Hullen have left, but the humans they kidnapped for their purposes remain. One of them reveals to D'avin that he had traveled to the training camp before, but D'avin has no memory of that trip. Meanwhile, Johnny is reinstated as a killjoy, and he experiences some difficulties adjusting to the changes that occurred while he was gone.
Annie, Kris and Stephanie discuss episode 3×03 of Killjoys, “The Hullen Have Eyes.”
- Kris: I liked this episode. I feel like I say this every episode, but there was some interesting world building. The idea that there was a whole training camp for Hullen to relearn how to act human is fascinating and unnerving. I really liked that there was so much focus on everybody having to adjust to Johnny’s return and Zeph being in the team. I'm also very excited about Aneela and Delle Seyah working together.
- Stephanie: I have mixed feelings about this episode. I thought it introduced some intriguing plot points, but the storyline with the “Unseeing” made me deeply uncomfortable. The religious construct felt very condescending to those characters. However, I liked the follow-up on the Hullen fleet and D'avin's connection to it, and I loved the storyline with Johnny reintegrating with the team. And oh the unresolved sexual tension between Mayko Nguyen and Hannah John-Kamen! It wasn't between Delle Seyah and Dutch this time, but I'll take it! Delle Seyah and Aneela make an interesting pair.
- Annie: I thought this was a pretty good episode. I like that there were still adjustments to Johnny rejoining the team, and how Zeph continues to play a part. D’avin’s connection to the Hullen fleet and the mysteries that Khlyen has left behind are intriguing. I found the subplot with the Unseeing a bit clunky, but once it was revealed there was a Hullen behind it, it became more clear. Seeing Aneela’s ship and how ruthless she is, was both scary and scarier! Dutch and the team will have a heck of a fight taking her down!
- Johnny reintegrates into the team, which is especially difficult with Zeph being part of the team now.
- Delle Seyah tells Aneela that Khlyen has died. Aneela does not react well, as in, in the most murderous way possible.
- The ship takes the team to a radiated planet where Hullen are trained to be more human through a reintegration camp. The remaining Hullen is worshipped as the Last Seer by the Unseeing who are waiting for the Undying.
- D’avin discovers he’s visited the planet three days ago in the ship, but he doesn’t remember.
- Khlyen used his connection with D’avin to give him control of the fleet, as well as leaving the Remnant for the team to find.
- Delle Seyah Kendry tries to continue to assert her power on Aneela’s ship, but is quickly put in her place. She says she will help Aneela destroy Dutch and her team.
- Aneela knows that Dutch exists and boy is she mad about it.
Things Made Us Happy
- Johnny using the finger banger to flip off Banyon Grey
- Johnny called Zeph an “awkward turtle”!
- “I skipped to the fun part. You know you wanted me to.”
- “Perfect. Love ya!”
- “Uh, super cool, always single?”
- D'avin talking Johnny through his hurt feelings and unease about the changes that happened while he was gone: “This is what coming back feels like.”
- “That sounds better than the room that shoots you a bunch.”
- Johnny chastising Zeph for abandoning the team, but still giving her a chance by assigning her the Remnant
- D’avin looking out for Quin: “It’s the chin, isn’t it?’
- “I’ve missed your way with smart women, John.” “Was that sarcasm?”
- Was Aneela going to kiss or kill Delle Seyah in that last scene?
- Hannah John-Kamen as Aneela: so terrifyingly different!
- Why doesn’t D’avin remember going to the planet?
- What is the Remnant and what does it do?
- Why did all the Hullen leave the planet, except for the Last Seer?
- What does Aneela know about Dutch? Why is Aneela so devastated by Khlyen’s death?
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com
- Tweet to @KilljoysPodcast
- Ask us a question on Tumblr