Bounty hunters Dutch and Johnny risk their jobs and their freedom when Johnny discovers that a kill warrant has been placed on his long lost brother, D'avin. When Dutch discovers who placed the kill warrant on D'avin, she must find a bargaining chip to save his life.
- Stephanie: What a fun premiere episode! It was a little mythology heavy — I feel like I need to go back and take notes — but I laughed a lot and I feel invested in the characters and their relationships.
- Annie: I liked it, especially the grungy scifi feel of the ship and the outer worlds. It was pretty heavy on the world building, but managed to make an exciting premise for the show. Loved the ships and how mercenaries are so commercialized.
- Kris: I loved it! They established the characters and relationships really well, and I'm already attached to a lot of them. I'm also digging the tone of the show.
- Class struggle — indentured servants, moons owned by the company, Johnny could have been sentenced to labor for taking on the warrant above his grade
- “Unaligned” killjoys
- Must own ancestral land on Qresh to own stock in “the company”
- Johnny & D’avin have last names, but Dutch is just Dutch [though Grey-Haired Man calls her Yella]
- The “scarred backs” (monks) were offering to suffer FOR people’s sins if they paid them
- Alvis has two factions: church and resistance
Stuff that Made Us Happy
- The relationship between Johnny and Dutch
- Opening scene — Johnny pointedly challenging the bad guys’ assumptions that he (rather than Dutch) was in charge, plays with trope of using sexual assault to define good vs. bad guys
- It’s colorful! Not all dystopian futuristic shows need to be washed out!
- D’avin’s alias was a nod to Killjoys writer/Lost Girl former showrunner Emily Andras — though now we’re worried we’ve been pronouncing her name incorrectly
- Trevor Yuile! (He does the music and he's awesome.)
- The relationship between Dutch and Bellus
- Why was D’avin using an alias on the slave ship?
- Why did someone put a kill warrant out on D’avin/Kobbe?
- Who is the handsome gray-haired man from Dutch’s past?
- What’s in the red box?
- Why did Dutch recruit Johnny to work with her?
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tweet to @KilljoysPodcast
- Ask us a question on Tumblr