A toxic rain storm forces Johnny and Pawter to take shelter with criminals. When the situation escalates, Johnny's tendency to play peacemaker is stretched to its limits. Through Johnny's urging to work through their awkwardness, Dutch and D'avin take on a warrant together and end up trapped on Lucy because of the storm.
- Stephanie: I liked this episode. It definitely felt like a backstory dump, but the A plot had some good worldbuilding elements, which helped even out the talkiness. I was pretty pleased with the follow up from the events of last week’s episode.
- Annie: I really liked this episode. I thought it was a solid follow up to last week’s that realistically portrayed Dutch, D’avin and Johnny’s emotional fallout of what happened. Plus the A plot of the storm was a cool device that was an opportunity to talk more about the building insurrection of Westerlyns/politics of class of The Quad. And the special effects were so gorgeous this week!
- Kris: I love this show. Major stuff happened last week, and they spent pretty much this whole episode processing it while also introducing some new elements to the story. I thought they did a great job of addressing the emotional complexity of the situation. Also, I’m very grateful for the strong supporting cast.
- Johnny built a Perceiver of Lie or Truth (aka P.L.O.T.) device to force Dutch and D’avin to work through their awkwardness. We also learn that Dutch shot Johnny when they first met.
- The fallout from last week’s episode is turning into an interesting metaphor for living with someone with PTSD. You know they’re volatile, but it’s difficult to blame them for their mental illness.
- Johnny feels tired of fixing things, which seems to be directed at D’avin since he both abandoned Johnny to look after his mother/parents AND he messed up Johnny’s good situation with Dutch.
- Jaqobis parents — father was abusive (which we already knew) and mother was an addict
- Pawter's jakk addiction — explains some of her more impulsive behavior as well as why she got kicked off of Qresh
- A glimpse at Alvis' world — “monks” (penitents/scarred backs) almost seem like Jesus figures in this religion, also a mention of “gods”
- Alvis needs brighter Company contacts! That guy was a dumbass. Why would you try to make an arrest at a covert meeting?!?
- Black rain execution — It was appropriately horrible and horrifying.
Stuff that Made Us Happy
- THEY’RE TALKING ABOUT THE STUFF THAT HAPPENED LAST EPISODE.
- Bellus being protective of Dutch
- Johnny looking out for Pawter, Pree, and Alvis
- Johnny’s pep talk to Pawter — “That’s not a very high bar.”
- Johnny taking care of Pawter, tucking her in
- Dancing! We still want to see Dutch show her stuff though.
- The shot of Dutch where she is at the very edge of the frame when she tells D’avin that she doesn’t know how to react to the situation because he is a victim too
- Smashing the P.L.O.T. device — Lucy: “Thank you.”
- Again, the music is awesome on this show!
- Johnny and Dutch reading comics, feet swinging in the air as they lay next to each other
- What is the evil that’s lurking??? (And will probably show up in the season finale.)
- D’avin left the ship — does that mean they won’t work together for awhile as well? Will Dutch, D’avin, and Johnny be able to be a team again? Will D’avin figure out how to repair his relationship with Johnny? Will D’avin devolve into self destructive behavior now that he’s off the ship and without his team?
- What did Johnny find out about the neural link? We still didn’t learn that information in this episode.
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com
- Tweet to @KilljoysPodcast
- Ask us a question on Tumblr