Listeners sent in some great feedback about safe sex and pregnancy in response to the “stray thoughts” about sexuality discussion in episode six. Does Bo's healing ability make her immune to STDs? Can Fae even contract human STDs? Do succubi have difficulty conceiving? Can Fae decide when they want to reproduce?
I’ve thought about how the show doesn’t address safer sex or pregnancy and it would be tough to do that without including it in every single sexual encounter and getting a bit of a preachy feel to it. I could totally buy it that the Fae are immune to all or most STIs, but clearly they can reproduce. Maybe they just get to decide when they want to become pregnant? —Sally
Regarding sexually transmitted diseases: as a Succubus Bo is capable of healing through sex. It makes sense that part of that healing ability would be an immunity against STDs. In fact, it is possible all Fae are immune to human STDs & Bo's healing ability protects her from Fae ones. As for pregnancy, it's quite possible that it isn't easy for a Succubus to conceive or there would be more of them. —Laura R.
@DrinksatTheDal Maybe to avoid pregnancy. Bo heals after sex, so she's pretty much immune to STDs XD
— Sabrina (@Sabrinushka) July 6, 2013
I think fae would be subject to STDs, I mean they’re subject to food poisoning like normal people so why not that if you sleep with the wrong person at the wrong time? Maybe it’s an unspoken rule on the series, like a “unless stated otherwise assume condoms in use” type of deal. Pregnancy is definitely another issue they have yet to discuss on the series; we know it can happen because the characters exist themselves and we also have one dad on the main group in Trick…it kind of makes you wonder if any other male characters are parents and just don’t know it. It seems like something they’d be aware of but you never know. —Aaron
- Unless Bo really is immune to human STDs, she should use protection when having sex with humans because she doesn't always heal fully. If she has sex with a human and contracts an STD, she could pass it along to a subsequent human partner if she doesn't heal fully in the meantime.
- How does she prevent pregnancy? Is it difficult for succubi to conceive? Can Fae decide when to reproduce?
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or use the contact form
- Tweet to @DrinksatTheDal