Dr. Coady and a deteriorating Westmoreland hold Helena captive, and they have induced her labor to exploit Helena's twins for cord blood. When the others learn that Helena has been taken, Art leads the efforts to find out where she is, as Sarah comforts Kira in the wake of Mrs. S's death.
Kris and Stephanie discuss episode 5×09 of Orphan Black, “One Fettered Slave.”
- Flashbacks! Including the origin of the bleached hair. (We should have known that even that would be tragic.)
- Habree Larratt was fantastic, but why did they choose to use a different actor from Cynthia Galant to play young Helena? Is she supposed to be younger in these flashbacks?
- Helena's indoctrination included the elements of her assassin life featured in Season 1
- These flashbacks felt less beneficial to the story than the other clone flashbacks from this season, especially if you’ve read the Helena issue of the OB comics. However, Helena realizing that “the copies look like [her]” was worth the price of admission.
Helena, Coady & John
- Stupid jerk Westmoreland — pardon us, John — is a stupid selfish jerk. “I can’t wait. Cut them out!”
- John removes the last of his artifice. He is only greed, cruelty, and desperation now.
- John reveals the very personal details he learned about Rachel through his invasion of her privacy.
- Helena is, as always, reckless. But it’s a calculated recklessness.
- Rachel saved Kira so that she wouldn't become a lab rat like herself. Helena wants to save her twins from becoming lab experiments.
- Kris did NOT need to see Helena cut her veins open.
- Helena and Sarah are together now.
- (From Steven) A promotional image referencing a Frida Kahlo painting (The Two Fridas, 1939) showed Helena and Sarah sharing a blood line. A callback to John's parabiosis attempts? And Coady giving Sarah Rudy's blood in Season 3.
- “You really are a shit mother.” Yes. Yes, she is. And Coady deserved having her face bashed in.
- Coady kills Mark at Westmoreland's request, and she did genuinely seem sad about it. Apparently he really was the last Castor?
- Sarah with the knife -meant to echo Helena in the flashbacks?
The Exquisite Men of Orphan Black
- With Sarah mourning, Art, Felix, Scott, and Hell Wizard stepped up to execute a plan to find and (hopefully) save Helena.
- Scott babysat Rachel. But they didn't play any board games!
- Art takes a chance and opens up to his lieutenant about Neolution situation.
- Art shot Frontenac. We really didn't want that for him, but it's less of a morass than if he had shot Enger earlier this season.
- Stephanie felt comforted by Art, in a bulletproof vest, taking out his tactical baton. She's worried about him, but thank goodness Sarah and Helena have backup.
Mourning Mrs. S
- Kris has been crying a lot.
- While Cosima and Alison weren't able to attend the funeral, the video call between them was nice.
- Alison about Sarah: “She always has to be strong. It’s not right.”
- Art telling Sarah that S sacrificed herself for his family too
- Sarah hasn't really cried yet.
- We're not happy that Mrs. S is dead, but we hope that maybe Sarah can create a home in S's house for her new, extended family.
- She felt like an ally in this episode. Even though Art had a gun and took away her plane ticket, she seemed much more willing to help Clone Club than she ever has.
- And she seemed more at peace with herself. Like John, she seems stripped of her artifice.
- John says to Coady that they obtained the Castor pathogen from Mark.
- From Joe: The cosmetics acquisitions by Neolution I believe were to provide a dermal delivery system of Coady’s sterilization agenda. That is why she needed a sperm sample from Mark, because that was how it had previously been spread to unsuspecting women. Now they will be infected by applying face cream instead.
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com
- Tweet to @TatianaIsEveryone
- Ask us a question on Tumblr