In preparation for the start of Orphan Black’s second season, Kris and Stephanie are continuing their discussion of first season episodes with episode 1×03, “Variation Under Nature.” Please note, this episode is NOT spoiler-free.
Sarah & Clone Stuff
- COSIMA!!! “Seriously, it’s life and death” has a more loaded meaning when re-watching.
- Alison teaches Sarah how to shoot a gun. It’s interesting that Beth taught Alison – sort of a weird family bonding/inheriting of knowledge thing. (Also, birth of SoccerCop)
- WHAT THE HELL? Clone? Original?
- “She was just one of a few. Unfit for family. Horse glue.” – Similar to the Clone Club riddle “Just one, I’m a few, no family too, who am I?”
- Helena has some great lines: “Dirty little copy cop.” “Not yet, Not Beth.”
- Wings (not the band) – unnerving and beautiful. Perfect imagery for Helena.
- STABBED WITH REBAR AND THEN WAS LIKE “WHATEVER” AND RODE OFF ON HER MOTORCYCLE. WITH THE REBAR STILL IN HER SIDE.
Sarah as Beth
- Procedural cop stuff: Using the radio, gun, FINGERPRINTS – TWIN THING (RAJ!!!), actually chases after Helena
- Stephanie’s “INCONSISTENT ART” rant – giving Sarah a hard time for repeatedly asking for the money he STOLE FROM HER as if she was being unreasonable
- Paul’s seduction – Uncomfortable. For us, not for Felix.
Sarah’s Personal Growth
- Bird watching with Mrs. S – something that requires stillness and patience, which are things that Sarah is no good at.
- Deciding not to kidnap Kira & steal the money
- “Big Dick Paul” – not something you want to have to repeat to your father. Also, does Felix have a theme to his nicknaming? (He does.)
- Driving with Sarah to kidnap Kira even though he thinks it’s a bad idea
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com
- Tweet to @TatianaIsEveryone
- Ask us a question on Tumblr