In preparation for the start of Orphan Black’s second season, Kris and Stephanie are continuing their discussion of first season episodes with episode 1×04, “Effects of External Conditions.” Please note, this episode is NOT spoiler-free.
Everybody is Somebody Else
Sarah as Beth
- “Impersonating a dead officer – that’s like a whole new crime.” – why does Felix say this like Sarah is doing something new? Beth has been dead the entire time.
Helena as Sarah as Beth
- Why didn’t anybody think that was weird?
- Did none of the police milling around the station notice Maggie Chen’s picture on Beth’s desk? Or see Helena-as-Sarah-as-Beth rearranging the photos on the evidence board?
Alison as Sarah
- She crosses herself before she gets out of the cab.
- Kira’s skepticism is pretty much Kris’s favorite thing ever.
- Alison really seems to start trusting Sarah in this episode, seems genuinely concerned for Sarah when Felix shows up at her house
Clones + Children
- Alison & Kira
- Sarah & the little boy
- Both Sarah & Alison drop their accents, talk plainly to children
- Helena & the little boy
- WHAT THE HELL SELF-SURGERY. SO MUCH BLOOD LOSS. HOW IS SHE OKAY?? Do Helena & Sarah have super healing abilities?
- Opening scene is a creepy echo to Sarah saying “Damn right” to practice being Beth in 1×01 “Natural Selection”
- She’d been staying in an abandoned church
- Don’t put that chair so close to a mentally unbalanced killer there, Sarah.
- Sarah asks her, “What happened to you, Helena?” – seems to get some empathy for Helena in their conversation, sees her as someone who was abused
- “Anybody else feel like they have a target on their back?” She should, but why would she say that?
- “Next victim.” Why is Sarah so sure about that?
- Paul vs. Art – I wouldn’t usually say this, but go Art!
- “Yeah, I might become an angry angel, too.”
- Finally learns why Beth shot Maggie Chen
- Art’s OK in this episode (per Stephanie). I think because of…
- Angie DeAngelis: Super Cop
- “Woman on woman means it has to be personal.” This sort of reinforces the clones’ unique predicament. It’s deeply personal, but they’ve never actually met.
- ONE address with that street number in all of Toronto? Sure..
- The reveal that he is painting in the nude is always funny.
- Recruiting Alison and playing acting coach.
- Cosima is smoking pot, Giles-ing it up
- “My mum doesn’t even have a mum.” – Double meaning?
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com
- Tweet to @TatianaIsEveryone
- Ask us a question on Tumblr