In preparation for the start of Orphan Black’s second season, Kris and Stephanie are continuing their discussion of first season episodes with episode 1×05, “Conditions of Existence.” Please note, this episode is NOT spoiler-free.
Sarah & Paul
- That sex scene makes us uncomfortable
- Medical testing, idea of monitors (Alison was right!)
- Sarah being protective of Beth regarding letters – why did she read them?
- Why does Paul keep his suspicions to himself & not tell Olivier? Protecting Sarah? Protecting himself? Both?
- Paul’s question is “Where is Beth?” not “Who are you?”
- Paul does seem to feel bad when Sarah suggests that his inability to love Beth was what killed her
Sarah, Kira & Mrs. S
- Sweet reunion between Kira and Sarah, Kira knows it’s Sarah even though she is dressed as Beth
- Sarah makes nice with Mrs. S, touches her hand – Mrs. S is surprised, until Sarah admits that she wants something
- The FINGER – horrifying and kind of funny (“I’m good.” Telling Alison’s kids “Stay in school.” Snigger!)
- Maced and tazed (Don’t mess with Alison!)
- Sarah tells him that she’s not proud of Myrtle Beach (“We were parasites”), tells him she never loved him
- Suspicion of Donnie – why did she immediately think of Donnie when the subject of monitors came up?
- Surprising that Alison was so confrontational in the garage
- Costco stockpiling of food in Alison’s garage – the results of Alison’s extreme couponing, no doubt
- “Dude, that’s complex.”
- Nerd flirting! (“Killer grades”)
- Transcript – interpreting French grades to the US system, students can be awarded an A+
- Cosima was hooked at “Enchantée”
- Delphine studies host-parasite relationships
- Not enough Felix
- Once again, Felix tells Sarah not to answer her phone. Once again, Sarah does.
- Colin is back! And still cute!
- “Gallerie Rimbaud” – sign outside of Felix’s loft & over his window; Arthur Rimbaud was a French poet who was considered very influential, he wrote all of his poetry while he was a teenager & gave up writing by age 20, had a torrid love affair with older poet Paul Verlaine involving a lot of absinthe and hashish, Verlaine shot at and wounded Rimbaud which eventually led to Verlaine’s imprisonment & the end of their relationship
- Small glimpse of Tomas stitching her. So unhygienic!
- Rebar wound symbolic of Jesus’ wound to his side?
- Tomas in black and Helena in white
- Reflections – everywhere in this episode
- “Rich” – said previously by Cosima and in this episode by Alison
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tweet to @TatianaIsEveryone
- Ask us a question on Tumblr