In preparation for the start of Orphan Black’s second season, Kris and Stephanie are continuing their discussion of first season episodes with episode 1×07, “Parts Developed in an Unusual Manner.” Please note, this episode is NOT spoiler-free.
Sarah & Paul
- Monitor argument between Sarah & Cosima cont’d: “If we’re going to get past our monitors we have to engage.” “Yeah, look where that got me.” “Into bed with him?” – Cosima totally just wants to sleep with Delphine.
- Sarah is still lying to Paul, doesn’t tell him about meeting Helena or Cosima, knowing that someone is killing clones
- Paul doesn’t seem to fully trust Sarah, tries to get Olivier to say what country the “imposter” is from
- Paul tells Sarah to take his car – is it because he knows Beth’s has a tracker?
- And yet he still risks himself and tells Sarah to run, seems relieved when she shows up
- Smooches (& more!) at the end – Stephanie still doesn’t really understand the connection between Sarah and Paul. Maybe Felix is right, “She doesn’t want to break up with Big Dick Paul.”
Olivier & Club Neolution
- Felix volunteers to go into the club because Sarah is recognizable, “Club land is my world.” Felix dancing! Graeme Manson suggested Jordan Gavaris used Sting dancing in Quadrophenia as inspiration.
- “You’re dying? You must not have heard of Neolutionism.”
- Olivier has fetishized the clones and/or genetic experimentation
- David Richmond-Peck only seems to play jerks. OK, we’ve only seen him in three roles but still.
- Sarah character development: “I told you to run.” “Yeah, I don’t do run.” Sarah gives Helena her name. She is protective of Paul and the other clones.
- “I have a worse idea.” – echo of what Sarah says about asking Alison to pretend to be her in “Effects of External Conditions”
- Stephanie is very concerned for Olivier when he pulls off the hood & it’s Helena. Kris gets oddly giddy.
- When Tomas takes her hand, do her bones crack from his grip?
- Brainwashing – Tomas de-humanizes the other clones: “It’s nothing. Just one of your fingernail clippings like the rest of them.” “It will say anything to justify itself.” Violence followed by affection.
- “Let’s have lunch.” So much eating in this episode!
- “I dreamed that we were friends.”
- “I went working and shopping.”
- Dancing with the tail
Sarah & Mrs. S
- Scrapbook – talks about the political unrest in Brixton in the early 1980s, clipping of the Brixton riots
- Just recently the Metropolitan Police apologized for the shooting that started the 1985 Brixton riots
- Tells Sarah that she was an orphan “in the black”
- Shares a glass of whiskey with her – they finally seem like equals in this episode
Cosima & Delphine
- “I am the cold-turkey asshole.” Ha! Delphine is charming.
- “Pluripotent stem cell line from baby teeth,” “Transgenic embryonic stem cells”
- Cover of Scientific American exchange with Leekie
- Delphine looks nervous when Cosima says they should admit what this is really all about
- Awkward smooch
Art & Co.
- Janice Beckwith – we kind of love her. “Her face went through a friggin’ gravel crusher.”
- Angie enjoying the morgue – “Finger straighteners!”
- Match Helena’s blood to Katja’s, Katja’s fingerprints to Sarah’s
- Felix calls and hangs up on Art
- Paul tells Sarah not to bring Felix? What the hell, Paul? Who doesn’t like Felix?
- Continuing identity theme: “There’s nine of you?” “No. There’s one of me. Just like there was one of Beth.”
- Both Tomas and Olivier call Sarah an “imposter”
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tweet to @TatianaIsEveryone
- Ask us a question on Tumblr