Kris and Stephanie discuss what worked and what didn't work for them in episodes 2×14 through 2×17 of Supergirl, as well as the musical crossover episode of The Flash, “Duet.” We have a lot of love for 2×15 “Exodus” as well as Kara and Barry's musical team-up, but not so much for a particular Daxamite's storyline. We also recommend a couple of Supergirl fanfics at the end of the episode.
What Worked for Us
- Maggie Sawyer was the only part of 2×14 that Kris liked.
- Speaking of Maggie — character development! Yay! Maggie and Alex’s relationship continues to be a real strong point of the season.
- Kara/Alex scene in 2×15!!!
- 2×15 period. “Exodus” was definitely our favorite of this bunch. The structure of the parallel Alex and Kara storylines that met at the climax worked really well, and it focused on aspects of the series that we really love.
- Lena Luthor should be in every episode! She is the harbinger of good episodes!
- Another Lena/Lois Lane parallel with the “bridal carry” over her balcony
- Kara returns the lip bite!
- They go on lunch dates, apparently! “Kombucha can wait” — it must be love!
- The Flash musical crossover episode was also pretty enjoyable.
- It was great to see Kara and Barry teaming up and being pals. We wish they could hang out more!
- Their musical number, written by Crazy Ex-Girlfriend’s Rachel Bloom, was definitely the standout.
- DARREN CRISS. (Stephanie has a huge crush.) And his adorable hair. Thank goodness he had good hair! Will he be back? Maybe?
- Kara being a lovable goof: “I’m ready to Nancy Drew the crap outta this!” “BACON!” “Hey, that’s me!”
- J’onn telepathically battling the bounty hunter
- Chris Wood’s comedic timing: “Is that helicopter parenting?” “I cook now!”
What Didn't Work for Us
- GO AWAY, MON-EL.
- Mon-El is that guy who only listens to other guys apparently.
- While he does seem to have changed to some extent, we are having trouble rooting for him because of his romantic entanglement with Kara. He seems to have changed just for her. (and it feels a little disingenuous to Kris – these are the qualities he used to belittle her for!)
- Kara has a strong moral compass and deserves to be with someone who does as well. They just don’t seem to be a very good match.
- The show feel like it’s centered around him this season, and it shouldn’t.
- Kara hitting UNDO on her breakup with Mon-El
- While, yes, we admittedly do not like Mon-El as a romantic option for Kara, we were bothered that so many people (and basically the musical episode) were insinuating that Kara was being unreasonable by being upset at Mon-El.
- What the heck, Alex? Are we supposed to assume that she feels some empathy toward him because of her being afraid to tell Kara that she killed Astra?
- Thank you, Winn, for saying it was up to her to decide if Mon-El’s reasons for doing what he did were good enough for her.
- Kara can both understand why Mon-El lied to her (she understood when Alex did about Astra), but she can also decide that she does not feel like she can date him anymore. That doesn’t make her a bad person.
- Mon-El carrying an unconscious Kara: Side-eye, show. SIDE-EYE.
- Alex not being in the musical episode: Seriously? Kara wouldn’t insert her beloved sister somewhere in the musical reality? Sounds fake, but OK.
- Supergirl vs. her boyfriend’s mom. (ew) It looks like this is going to be the conflict for the rest of the season, too. Sigh.
- Kara having to defend herself from a mind-controlled Mon-El: Yikes. While we get that he didn’t want to be attacking her, it feels like it’s making light of IPV, and given Mon-El’s behavior in 2×13, it really left a bad taste in our mouths.
- Where’s Cat Grant??? She needs to come give Kara advice about her professional life. We want some more follow-up on Kara being fired.
- Mostly Supercorp, so sorry to people who aren’t into that!
- Supergirl in Training by wtfoctagon
- Who Will Win a Night with Supergirl? by YesBothWays
Share your feedback or ask questions
- Send a voice message through your computer, iPhone, or iPad
- Call (972) 514-7223 to leave a voicemail
- Email us directly at email@example.com or use the contact form